Lamborghini Islero was produced by Lamborghini between 1968-1970 and featuring the Lamborghini V12 engine. It was the replacement for the 400GT. The car debuted at the 1968 Geneva Auto Show.
The Islero (pronounced "eez-LEHR-oh") was named after a bull that killed famed matador Manuel Rodriguez "Manolete" on August 28, 1947.
Since Carrozzeria Touring, the company that designed Lamborghini's chasis, was bankrupt, Carrozzeria Marazzi was the next logical choice as it was funded by Mario Marazzi, an old employee of Touring. The design was essentially a rebody of the 400GT, but the track was altered to allow for wider tires and while the Islero's body suffered from a lack of proper fit between the panels, its good outward visibility, roomier interior, and much improved soundproofing made it an improvement over previous models. It had a 325 hp, 4L V12 engine, 5 speed transmission, fully independent suspension, and disc brakes. Its top speed was rated at 155 mph. Only 125 Isleros were built.
An updated Islero, dubbed the Islero S was released in 1969. The engine in this model was tuned to 350 hp but the torque remained the same. There were quite a few styling changes including brightwork blind slots on the front fenders, an enlarged hood scoop (which supplied air to the interior of the car, not the engine), slightly flaired wheel arches, tinted windows, round side marker lights (instead of tear drops on the original), and a fixed section in the door windows. Various other changes included larger brake discs, revised rear suspension and revamped dashboard and interior. The top speed of the S improved to 161 mph or 260 km/h. Only 100 examples of the Islero S were built, bringing the production total of the Islero nameplate to 225 cars. Ferruccio Lamborghini himself had an Islero as his daily drive car during that era.